Have a peek through the door
The church door is usually open during the summer season, so you can step into the vestibule and see the interior of the church through two glass doors. On Sundays, the door is closed up to and during services.
Church services are held approximately twice a month by a minister from Bornholm. See upcoming church services on the parish website.
On 13 April 2008, the church was reconsecrated after an extensive restoration made possible by a donation from the foundation A.P. Møller og Hustru Chastine Mc-Kinney Møllers Fond til Almene Formaal. For the occasion, the old wooden christening font was restored and the chandelier was repaired and rehung. The chandelier was originally given to the church in 1905 by the future Queen Alexandrine.
Learn more about
See the inside of the church on Google Street View
About the church
The church building was originally built in 1811–13 as an armour smithy. This explains why it faces north to south rather than east to west like other churches. It was converted into a church in 1821. Until then, the church had been relegated to a cramped and dark space in Store Tårn.
Christiansø Church was remodelled and expanded in 1852. That was also when its organ was installed. The organ was built by Frederik Hoffmann Ramus and donated by King Frederik VII during a visit to the island the previous year.
The Bornholm-style bell tower was added when the church was modernised in 1928.
In 2008, the church was reconsecrated after extensive restoration.