8 salted herring fillets
1 handful rye flour
A knob of butter
A little canola oil
Pickled beetroot Mustard
- Soak the salted herring fillets in water overnight.
- Drain them and then coat with rye flour.
- Peel the onion, cut it in half and slice it thinly.
- Sauté the onions in a combination of butter and a little canola oil until golden. Set aside.
- Fry the fillets in butter and a little canola oil for 5-10 minutes on each side until crisp.
Serve the fried salted herring with sautéed onions, pickled beetroot and a nice spicy mustard.
This dish is traditionally served with a good beer and maybe a little glass of aquavit.